Statcounter

Tuesday 7 January 2014

Personal: New Years Resolutions

It's in my nature to put things off, and here we are: a week into the new year. I haven't bothered much with resolutions since I was in school (be nicer to my sister, do my homework the day I get it, stop saying "like" so much), but I'm beginning to feel like I let things slide a little towards the end of 2013. In many ways, I learned how to handle my PCOS and ended the year stronger, healthier and happier than I started it, but I've also let a few bad habits sneak back in. So here are my resolutions for the year:


  • Quit the gym. Exercise is a brilliant way of tackling insulin resistance but after a couple of months I fell right off that wagon and it's time to stop kidding myself I'll clamber back on. I've been in and cancelled - I'm probably the first person to write "new years resolution" as their reason for leaving on the cancellation form! Find new ways to work out. Tomorrow I begin adult tap dancing classes! Something I'm excited about, and apparently fun can count as exercise? 
  • Take Metformin properly. When I started a new job at the end of the summer, my whole routine, including mealtimes, changed and since then I've dropped down to often only remembering one dose a day (and sometimes skipping my Met altogether). I feel lousy for it and can tell it's not helped me at all. I'm setting a twice daily reminder on my phone so I can get back into the swing of things.
  • Be my own biggest fan. Over the last couple of years, as I've changed shaped, regained the acne I fought to banish from primary age right until sixth form and - the biggest struggle for me - become steadily hairier, my self-esteem has ebbed away. Armpits4August helped me claw back some of that confidence and I've rung in the new year with a months growth of leg hair to see if I can love that too (I'm still not sure, but I want to find out either way). This year I want to love the body I have and stop yearning for the one I used to live in. But it's okay to have blips.
  • Blog more. I still struggle to find PCOS blogs that give me what I'm looking for, so I'll just have to build my own! I'm also looking for all sorts of resources (find me a PCOS zine* and I'll kiss you). Here's to knowledge!
Here's to a wonderful year!

*The latest Armpits4August zine includes more on PCOS than the first one did. Keep an eye on their Twitter to see when and where they're selling it.

No comments:

Post a Comment